- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add brown rice and wild rice; stir to coat.
- Stir in the broth, water, fruit, parsley, salt, thyme, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p6
Reviews for Makeover Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2011
"Tasty and healthy. I've made it a number of times over the years and have really enjoyed it."