- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- For chocolate sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the cocoa, cornstarch, salt and remaining sugar. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread ice cream into meringue shell. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; cover and freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Frozen Chocolate Pie in Healthy Cooking June/July 2011, p27
Reviews for Makeover Frozen Chocolate Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review