Makeover French Silk Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small heavy saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup milk; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Meanwhile, sift the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa into a small bowl. Combine egg yolks and remaining milk; whisk into sugar mixture until blended.
- 3. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to sugar mixture; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Whisk vigorously over medium heat as mixture begins to thicken (mixture will become very thick). Bring to a boil; whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla.
- 4. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Lightly coat waxed paper with cooking spray; press onto surface of cocoa mixture. Refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until mixture reaches 80°.
- 5. Beat the cocoa mixture on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and glossy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly into crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Cover leftovers tightly with foil; store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without chocolate curls) equals 322 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover French Silk Pie
"This is not a quick recipe by any means, but it has a good chocolate flavor and a nice texture."