Makeover French Silk Pie Recipe
A chocolaty rich, smooth and creamy dream of a makeover that mimics Cindy Evanoff’s original recipe in everything but calories, fat and cholesterol! Even our Test Panel had a hard time believing this fantastic makeover with nearly 200 fewer calories and half the fat and saturated fat wasn’t the original recipe. Cindy can be proud to serve this lightened up version of her family favorite to friends in Louisville, Ohio.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup milk; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Meanwhile, sift the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa into a small bowl. Combine egg yolks and remaining milk; whisk into sugar mixture until blended.
- Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to sugar mixture; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Whisk vigorously over medium heat as mixture begins to thicken (mixture will become very thick). Bring to a boil; whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Transfer to a large metal bowl. Lightly coat waxed paper with cooking spray; press onto surface of cocoa mixture. Refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until mixture reaches 80°.
- Beat the cocoa mixture on high speed for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and glossy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly into crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Cover leftovers tightly with foil; store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover French Silk Pie in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p12
Reviews for Makeover French Silk Pie(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Chocolate Pie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Chocolate Silk Pie >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- French Silk Pie >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >