Makeover Family-Recipe Salad Dressing
Connie Pettersen of Aitkin, Minnesota tried lightening her mother-in-law's recipe and then let our Test Kitchen lighten it up further. The salad dressing dropped in fat and calories, but kept the delicious flavor of her mother-in-law’s original recipe.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1. In a blender, combine all ingredients; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
2 tablespoons equals 76 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC