Makeover Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 9 ounces uncooked multigrain spaghetti
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, tomato paste and 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant slices into flour then in egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- 3. Spoon 2 cups sauce over eggplants; top with cheeses. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 4. Drain spaghetti. Serve remaining sauce over spaghetti; top with eggplant slices. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 505 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.