- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 Eggland's Best® Eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 9 ounces uncooked multigrain spaghetti
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, tomato paste and 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant slices into flour then in egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon 2 cups sauce over eggplants; top with cheeses. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Drain spaghetti. Serve remaining sauce over spaghetti; top with eggplant slices. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Eggplant Parmesan
Sort By :
I highly recommend this recipe as far as preparing & cooking the eggplant in the oven - so much easier & healthier than breading & frying in pan on stovetop, soaking up a lot of olive oil, getting a soggy overcooked eggplant. This is awesome & next time, I will use the sauce recipe too as I am sure it must be just as good!!
Made this recipe tonight. My mother, who is very critical of eggplant, went on and on about it. It was wonderful not to do the whole thing with the salt to release the liquid from the eggplant. Awesome recipe will be making again next week!!