If traditional eggnog is too rich for your tastes, give our lighter version a try. It boasts one-third fewer calories, only a quarter of the fat and less than half the cholesterol, but is still a satisfying frothy blend that's sure to please.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, strain eggnog mixture; stir in the cream and nutmeg. Pour into glasses. Yield: 18 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Makeover Eggnog in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p14
Reviews for Makeover Eggnog
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review