If traditional eggnog is too rich for your tastes, give our lighter version a try. It boasts one-third fewer calories, only a quarter of the fat and less than half the cholesterol, but is still a satisfying frothy blend that's sure to please.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt.
- Gradually whisk in milk and eggs until smooth. Cook and stir over
- low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Cover and refrigerate until
- well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, strain eggnog mixture; stir in the cream and
- nutmeg. Pour into glasses. Yield: 18 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 197 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch,