- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Just before serving, strain eggnog mixture; stir in the cream and nutmeg. Pour into glasses. Yield: 18 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Makeover Eggnog
"This was excellent! Much better than the store bought eggnog and easy to make too. I used fat-free milk, further lowering the fat content. YUM!"
"I found this recipe in the back of a Guidepost book around five years ago. I'm was never an eggnog person. I started making this orginally for my special needs son, but has become a family favorite since the first time I made it. This morning my son asked me to make eggnog, and make it good!! So I am going to start my eggnog earlier this year. When he gets home from school, he'll have this treat. You have got to try it."
"We couldn't believe how much this tastes like the real thing! I used Almond Milk instead of the 2%, which is another reduction in calories but still has enough fat content to make it creamy. Will definitely be passing this recipe on."
"I have been making this recipe from my Light and Tasty cookbook for several years. It is easy to make if you are patient and careful not to scorch. Very tasty! It has become a family favorite for those who enjoy eggnog. My husband has already requested it and it is just after Thanksgiving so I am glad to find the recipe online as I do not have my cookbook nearby."