Makeover Easy Beef-Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups Galbani® Reduced-Fat Ricotta Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1 cup Italian cheese blend, Parmesan cheese, pesto, egg and half of the beef mixture.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Spread 3/4 cup into a 13-in x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon cheese mixture into pasta shells; place in baking dish. Combine remaining beef mixture and tomato mixture; spoon over shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
2 stuffed shells equals 295 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.