Makeover Deluxe Grilled Cheese
With a few simple tricks, we actually boosted the fantastic toasty taste of these mouthwatering sandwiches, but slashed fat, calories and cholesterol to less than half! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 ounce herbed fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 small tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until
- tender; set aside.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet; spritz with butter-flavored
- cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until
- golden brown.
- Spread goat cheese over two untoasted sides of bread slices. Top with
- apple slices and reserved onion; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil
- 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining
- slices. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 225 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.