Makeover Cutout Sugar Cookies Recipe
Our Test Kitchen home economists dreamed up these chewy sugar cookies with a lightly sweet flavor. Decorated for the holidays with colored sugar, sprinkles or frosting, they won't last long...so make sure you stash away a few for Santa!
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups colored sugar of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in oil and corn syrup. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture just until blended. Divide in half; wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out dough with lightly floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each cutout with 2 teaspoons colored sugar. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 117 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC