Makeover Curried Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Stir in seasoned salt and curry. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 263 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.