- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Stir in seasoned salt and curry. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Makeover Curried Chicken Rice Soup
"Really delicious soup. The only change I made was to double the curry powder. Very filling also!"
"Delicious , added extra curry powder. Loved it!"
"Delicious! I substituted Soy Milk for the Half & Half like a previous reviewer and you never would have known! Also added salt to taste at the end. Very filling."
"This was an excellent soup! We changed it a little to lighten it some more by using light butter. Instead of halve and halve cream I used regular soy milk. It was a creamy, rich, tasty, and well worth making. Loved it!"