Makeover Crunchy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Scott Jones' family will sure be delighted when they taste this delicious makeover at their next gathering. Scott wrote to us for help lightening this dish. We decreased the fat by half and the cholesterol by 46%, but kept the topping's sweet, nutty crunch. —Taste of Home's Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a food processor. Add the milk, egg substitute, egg, butter and extracts; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup equals 306 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC