This chocolate cake is very sweet, chocolaty, and definitely a special dessert. —Sharon Anderson, Lyons, Illinois
- 1/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, chocolate chips and remaining butter. Break into small pieces; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread whipped topping between layers and over sides of cake, leaving the crumb top exposed. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Crumb-Topped Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p11
Reviews for Makeover Crumb-Topped Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review