- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a Dutch oven, saute shrimp and scallops in 1 tablespoon butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the celery, red pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return seafood to the pan; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Seafood Soup
"This recipe is a keeper! Very simple to make, easy to use ingredients. I couldn't find bay scallops at the store I was at so I bought sea scallops and cut them in quarters. The soup had just enough spice and the color from the red pepper was very appealing."
"I have made this several times. Delicious!"
"This was delicious. I also added Old Bay seasoning and that gave it a real nice flavor."
"I made this soup with a shrimp, scallop & calamari mixture. It was so yummy!! The red pepper added just enough spice to it! Can't wait to make it again!!"
"I make this all winter long. It's incredible. Add 2 T old bay to the finished product and you think you've gone to seafood heaven!"