This delicious soup has only half the cholesterol, a fourth of the fat and half the calories of the original recipe from Mildred Fasig of Stephens City, Virginia . Best of all, our entire taste panel agreed that this makeover has an even richer and creamier texture and taste!
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a Dutch oven, saute shrimp and scallops in 1 tablespoon butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the celery, red pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return seafood to the pan; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Creamy Seafood Soup in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p20
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Seafood Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review