Makeover Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Minced chives, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan, mustard and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni; stir in cheddar cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add cream sauce and mix well. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Macaroni and Cheese(20)
Sort By :
Great recipe, I probably made between 3 and 4 cups of pasta since other reviewers said to add more. I also added more milk to make the creamy mixture a little thinner, the longer it sits one the milk and chicken broth are added the thicker it gets so either have the noodles ready to go or add more milk. I also estimated the spices, added a bit more ground mustard and a lot more pepper, but I love pepper. I also added a bit of onion and garlic powder. Cooked it for about 30 min, then took it out added some extra Parmesan cheese and some crushed Parmesan goldfish crackers then baked it for another 8 minutes. Added some minced green onion and baked for another 2-4 minutes. DELICIOUS, got approval from my 2 roommates and my good friend. Definitely making again.
Instead of Velveeta, I used a jar of Newmans Own Salsa con Queso. My husband loved it.
This is a keeper. I cut the recipe in half since it's just hubby and me and this will be made again and again. Thanks for the recipe.
This was delicious! I doubled the noodles, added some cooked ham pieces, and baked it for about half the time. My only complaint is it is a little thick--I'll either cut down on the flour or use more broth. But I will be wanting this again, for sure. :)
you know what rosecat 98 if you knew you didn't like velveta.. why did you even bother or is it your nature "just to find fault"
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >