- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Minced chives, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan, mustard and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni; stir in cheddar cheese. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add cream sauce and mix well. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
"Loved this recipe!"
"I doubled the recipe for our fellowship, omitting the Velveeta, doubling the shredded cheddar cheese. Used gluten free rotini & potato starch for the flour. Came home with an empty crockpot!"
"This was by far the best recipe I have tried for Mac-n-cheese! The sour cream and parmesan cheese really adds a lot! I cut down on the butter; I used 2/3 stick. I added Progresso breadcrumbs to the top too! Very easy to make!"
"Great recipe, I probably made between 3 and 4 cups of pasta since other reviewers said to add more. I also added more milk to make the creamy mixture a little thinner, the longer it sits one the milk and chicken broth are added the thicker it gets so either have the noodles ready to go or add more milk. I also estimated the spices, added a bit more ground mustard and a lot more pepper, but I love pepper. I also added a bit of onion and garlic powder. Cooked it for about 30 min, then took it out added some extra Parmesan cheese and some crushed Parmesan goldfish crackers then baked it for another 8 minutes. Added some minced green onion and baked for another 2-4 minutes. DELICIOUS, got approval from my 2 roommates and my good friend. Definitely making again."
"Instead of Velveeta, I used a jar of Newmans Own Salsa con Queso. My husband loved it."