Makeover Creamy Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cups cubed bread
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk flour, seasonings and half-and-half until smooth. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in half-and-half mixture. Add milk. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in macaroni. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For optional topping, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add cubed bread; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture; top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Mac & Cheese(8)
Sort By :
This Mac & Cheese had very little cheese flavor, consequently it had a starchy flour taste. Will not make again.
I admit I was skeptical about a lower-fat mac & cheese but this recipe was really good and satisfying. The fam really enjoyed it.
So easy and tasty. Had to use my old stand by tho. Velveeta mixed with sharp regular sharp cheese. Yummy !
My family and I enjoyed this recipe very much! My son especially who loves mac n'cheese. I've been on a hunt for the best recipe I can find and so far out of all the ones I've made this is our favorite! I did use full fat ingredients and whole wheat past. I know this recipe calls for reduced fat ingredients but I don't like to cook with reduced fat.
My granddaughter loves this, she's the mac and cheese beast in the family. (I can't stand the stuff myself) She doesn't care at all for the "macaroni/milk/cheese" version below, it's not creamy and has a different texture. This is a bit healthier and still creamy and good. She also likes the topping, it gives a nice different texture, crunchy AND creamy.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Baking Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Makeover Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Pasta Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Vegetarian Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetarian Dinner Recipes >
- Vegetarian Main Dishes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >