- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional ground nutmeg, optional
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and salt until blended. Stir in 2 cups milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes or until bubbles form around sides of pan and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat immediately.
- Pour into a large bowl. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until cooled. Stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Refrigerate until cold.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gently stir into milk mixture until blended. Sprinkle servings with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Creamy Eggnog in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p20
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Eggnog
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review