This version of this casserole using less butter, fat-free milk instead of whole milk and lighter cottage cheese and Swiss cheese. It has a third fewer calories, two-thirds less cholesterol and just a quarter of the fat and saturated fat. Yet it's still creamy and delightfully satisfying.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 10 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded, divided
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, bouillon, garlic salt, pepper and thyme; stir until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add broccoli; cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese and three-fourths of the Swiss cheese. Drain noodles.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer three noodles and a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and broccoli is tender. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Creamy Broccoli Lasagna in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p19
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Broccoli Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review