Brooklyn, Michigan's Linda Parkhurst asked us to lighten up her classic soup, we were eager to help out. Velvety Makeover Cream of Tomato Soup is the heartwarming result. Not only is it table-ready in 30 minutes, but it’s a healthy way to warm up after a day of snowy fun.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 4 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- SEASONED OYSTER CRACKERS:
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in tomato soup, V8 and tomato paste until blended. Gradually stir in cream cheese mixture, half-and-half and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large bowl, combine the seasoned oyster crackers, oil, dressing mix, garlic powder and dill; toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crackers and cheese. Yield: 9 servings (3 cups crackers).
Originally published as Makeover Cream of Tomato Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p39
Reviews for Makeover Cream of Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review