Makeover Cranberry Trifle Recipe
You’d never guess that this showstopper fruit trifle recipe has been lightened up because it boasts all of the original’s festive flavor, but only half the fat and way fewer calories! Sonya Labbe - Santa Monica, California
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen reduced-fat pound cake, thawed and cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- 3. Place a third of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. trifle bowl; top with a third of the cranberry mixture and a third of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
1 cup equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC