Makeover Cranberry Pecan Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, orange juice, vanilla and orange peel. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Pat dough into a 6-1/2-in. circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut into eight wedges (do not separate).
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 250 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0 fruit, 1 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Cranberry Pecan Scones
"This is now a breakfast standard in our household!"
"Easy to make and very tasty. This will go in my favorite recipes file. :)"