Makeover Country-Fried Steak Recipe
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1. Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over steaks.
- 2. Place buttermilk and 3/4 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip steaks in buttermilk, then flour.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 4. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in remaining flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining garlic powder and pepper. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
1 steak with 1/4 cup gravy equals 318 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.