- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over steaks.
- Place buttermilk and 3/4 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip steaks in buttermilk, then flour.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in remaining flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining garlic powder and pepper. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Country-Fried Steak
"Will be making this again!"
"I make this about once a month. I wish I could get the coating to stay on the meat better."
"I rated this three stars b/c I think it would be better with cube steak. The gravy was good though!"
"My husband and I both love country fried steak. This recipe was delicious and easy and is now one of our favorites."
"I will use cube steak next time, breading didn't stay on meat but there is a trick to it...google how and gravy was wonderful, just make sure you get all the lumps out or it won't taste good! I learned how to make gravy years ago, pretty easy. Very tasty recipe!"