Makeover Country-Fried Steak Recipe
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over steaks.
- Place buttermilk and 3/4 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip steaks in buttermilk, then flour.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in remaining flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining garlic powder and pepper. Serve with steak. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Country-Fried Steak(7)
Sort By :
Will be making this again!
I make this about once a month. I wish I could get the coating to stay on the meat better.
I rated this three stars b/c I think it would be better with cube steak. The gravy was good though!
My husband and I both love country fried steak. This recipe was delicious and easy and is now one of our favorites.
I will use cube steak next time, breading didn't stay on meat but there is a trick to it...google how and gravy was wonderful, just make sure you get all the lumps out or it won't taste good! I learned how to make gravy years ago, pretty easy. Very tasty recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >