Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1. Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, egg whites, applesauce and pudding mix. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- 4. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining layer and frosting; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece equals 350 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte
"This cake is delicious, nobody could tell it was a lighter version! I only had 2 cake pans the same size, so I sliced the cakes in half to make 4 layers, and just made a little extra frosting. It came out beautiful, and tasted great!"
"I've made this a number of times. If you really like coconut, try using coconut cake, and I prefer the white over the yellow cake mix. I omit walnuts because my family doesn't care for them, but it's delicious without them. Because I don't have three pans the same size, my cake is only a double-layer, but it works just fine. This is a very easy recipe and I love the substitutions that make it more healthful. HINT: Be sure to toast, the coconut. That makes ALL the difference!"