Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1. Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, egg whites, applesauce and pudding mix. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- 4. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining layer and frosting; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece: 350 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte
"This cake is delicious, nobody could tell it was a lighter version! I only had 2 cake pans the same size, so I sliced the cakes in half to make 4 layers, and just made a little extra frosting. It came out beautiful, and tasted great!"
"I've made this a number of times. If you really like coconut, try using coconut cake, and I prefer the white over the yellow cake mix. I omit walnuts because my family doesn't care for them, but it's delicious without them. Because I don't have three pans the same size, my cake is only a double-layer, but it works just fine. This is a very easy recipe and I love the substitutions that make it more healthful. HINT: Be sure to toast, the coconut. That makes ALL the difference!"