- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, egg whites, applesauce and pudding mix. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining layer and frosting; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte
"I've made this a number of times. If you really like coconut, try using coconut cake, and I prefer the white over the yellow cake mix. I omit walnuts because my family doesn't care for them, but it's delicious without them. Because I don't have three pans the same size, my cake is only a double-layer, but it works just fine. This is a very easy recipe and I love the substitutions that make it more healthful. HINT: Be sure to toast, the coconut. That makes ALL the difference!"