Heavenly cakes are a hallmark of dessert time, and this lightened-up treat is no exception. “My neighbor made the scrumptious cake and gave me the recipe,” shares Vernelle Lazzarini of Upland, California. This made-over version of the original is as easy on the waistline as it is the taste buds.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, egg whites, applesauce and pudding mix. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining layer and frosting; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p13
Reviews for Makeover Coconut Supreme Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review