Makeover Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 reduced-fat graham cracker crust (8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 3/4 cup coconut and extracts.
- 2. Place crust on a baking sheet; add filling and set aside.
- 3. For meringue, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and clear. In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Pour hot sugar mixture in a slow, steady stream into egg whites, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- 4. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 350 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Makeover Coconut Cream Pie
"Very "homey" keeping the old-fashioned flavor. Thanks for the great makeover recipe."
"After my mother died, I looked for her recipe for my favorite pie--coconut cream--but was unable to find it anywhere. When I saw this recipe, I decided to try it, though I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as hers. It is amazingly close, and I'm sure it's healthier! Thanks for giving me a great option."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.