Makeover Coconut Cookies Recipe
Pat Doctor of Cocoa, Florida loves these coconutty cookies, but because she is watching her cholesterol, she asked us to help her lighten this recipe. Our Test Kitchen staff came up with trimmed down treats that have two-thirds the calories, half the fat and just a quarter of the saturated fat of the original.--Taste of Home's Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in egg, egg whites and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in cornflakes.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 69 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC