Makeover Cleo's Potato Salad Recipe
This recipe is perfect for family gatherings, and now that it's much healthier, you can enjoy it all summer long. Joan Hallford — North Richland Hills, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 6 large potatoes
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free Miracle Whip
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Scrub and cube potatoes; place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add sugar and flour to the pan; stir in water until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Stir in Miracle Whip and vinegar. Fold in cream.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery, eggs, onion, celery seed and salt. Add dressing and bacon; stir until blended. Chill until serving. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 215 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC