This recipe is perfect for family gatherings, and now that it's much healthier, you can enjoy it all summer long. Joan Hallford — North Richland Hills, Texas
- 6 large potatoes
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free Miracle Whip
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub and cube potatoes; place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add sugar and flour to the pan; stir in water until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Stir in Miracle Whip and vinegar. Fold in cream.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery, eggs, onion, celery seed and salt. Add dressing and bacon; stir until blended. Chill until serving. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Makeover Cleo's Potato Salad in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p24
Reviews for Makeover Cleo's Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review