Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
This cake has all the moistness and rich chocolate flavor of the original version but with fewer calories, fat and sugar.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the first eight ingredients until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in zucchini and nuts.
- 2. Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14 servings.
One piece equals 373 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC