This cake has all the moistness and rich chocolate flavor of the original version but with fewer calories, fat and sugar.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the first eight ingredients until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the egg mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in zucchini and nuts.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p49
Reviews for Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review