Makeover Chocolate Chip Snack Cake Recipe
Top off any meal with Chocolate Chip Snack Cake, which comes from Sarah Newman. After some makeover from the original recipe from her mom, Sarah writes from Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, “It's just as good without the guilt!”
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
- 2. Pour half of the batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half over the batter. Top with half of the chocolate chips.
- 3. Gently top with remaining batter; spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar and chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 215 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC