Makeover Chicken Romaine Salad Recipe
Amy Brantley asked us to trim down the original recipe for Kevin Weeks' Chicken Romain Salad so she could serve it to friends and family in Raleigh, North Carolina. Our Test Kitchen showed her how to keep the salad dressing and all the flavor, crunch and flavor she loved in the original, but still cut the sodium and fat!
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup salted soy nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white and water. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg white mixture and coat with crumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray, cook and stir pecans and salt until toasted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, cranberries, soy nuts and cheese. Add chicken and reserved pecans; toss to combine. Serve with dressing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Chicken Romaine Salad in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p12
Reviews for Makeover Chicken Romaine Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review