Makeover Chicken Potpies Recipe
By using feel-good ingredients like peas, carrots and fat-free milk, you'll want to dive into this healthy and comforting pot pie on days when it's icy cold outside. —John Slivon, Milton, Florida
- 3/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil; toss with a fork. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. For filling, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute until crisp-tender. In a small bowl, combine remaining flour with the broth and milk until smooth. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, peas and pepper. Transfer to four 16-oz. ramekins; set aside.
- 3. Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit ramekins. Place dough over chicken mixture; trim and seal edges. Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg white.
- 4. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 potpie equals 443 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 781 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC