Makeover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, Italian seasoning and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon butter until chicken is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining butter until tender. Add remaining garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream.
- 3. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and reserved chicken; cook and stir until heated through.
- 4. Drain fettuccine; serve with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon of remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
1 each: 462 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein .
Reviews for Makeover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
"This is a great light and fresh pasta recipe."
"This is a good recipe that could be better and still healthy. I used Monterey Jack in place of the Co-Jack and fat free evaporated milk. I also had plum tomatoes from our garden to use. I think next time I may use Greek Yogurt in place of the sour cream and a better quality Parmesan or Asiago in place of the cheap stuff I used this time."
"Very good!! My picky boys even liked it!! Served with rolls and a salad, made a great meal :)"
"Delicious! Even my 2 year old devoured it."
"My family loved this! (I did thicken the sauce a bit more with some cornstarch.) They said it's called makeover because you should make it over and over!"
"We really liked this lighter recipe. I used fat free evaporated milk instead of light half and half. sjc"
"This recipe is so good! Delicious! It makes a whole lot though."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.