Makeover Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion, divided
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken, water and 2 teaspoons garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken; reserve liquid. Cut chicken into thin strips. Set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add remaining garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add chilies and seasoning; saute 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in 1 cup chicken broth, milk and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Combine 1 cup of cheese sauce and chicken; set aside.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining chicken broth. Dip tortillas, one at a time, in hot broth just until limp, about 4 seconds on each side. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon green onion. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining sauce evenly over tortillas. Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover an let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
two enchiladas equals 418 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,197 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.