Makeover Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo
- 6 tablespoons shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Cut each tortilla lengthwise into thirds; cut each widthwise into 1/4-in. strips. Place strips and oil in a resealable plastic bag; shake to coat. Combine chili powder, salt and cayenne. Add to bag; shake to coat.
- Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 4 cups water, chicken base, chili powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Whisk masa harina and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in process cheese until melted. Add chicken; heat through. Ladle into bowls. Top with pico de gallo, shredded cheese and tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Makeover Chicken Enchilada Soup(6)
Sort By :
I used chicken broth in place of water and cooked my chicken in it. It has a unique texture.
This was delicious. I used cheddar cheese instead of the Velveeta, full sodium broth and added a chopped red pepper and 1/2 c or so of frozen corn, and left out the tortilla strips. My husband and 4 year old both ate seconds.
Pretty good! It could use a few more vegetables. I throw in a chopped up bell pepper, celery, or corn to further it along.
This soup got rave reviews. Three people claimed it was the best soup they have ever eaten. I made it exactly as the recipe calls but doubled the recipe.
This is very good. It could definitely use some more veggies, and the pico de gallo really makes it. I didn't bother with the seasoned tortilla strips, either.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Enchilada Soup >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Enchiladas >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >