This made over recipe has less than half the fat, saturated fat and cholesterol of the original recipe...plus 32% fewer calories. Yet the thin crust retains its buttery taste and the fruity filling is still sweet and gooey.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- In a food processor, place flour and confectioners' sugar; cover and process until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse 15 times or until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the egg, egg whites, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add the egg mixture. Stir in cherries, nuts and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Makeover Cherry Coconut Bars in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p11
Reviews for Makeover Cherry Coconut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review