Makeover Cherry Almond Mousse Pie Recipe
With about two-thirds less fat than the original pie recipe, this makeover is decadently rewarding! You'll love the chocolate, cherries and almonds, but never miss the fat! —Julie Hieggelke, Grayslake, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 frozen pie shell, baked
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir 1/2 cup milk and chocolate for 4-5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract. Pour into pie shell; set aside.
- 2. Set aside eight whole cherries for garnish. Chop the remaining cherries; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in water and remaining milk. Add pudding mix and remaining extract; mix well. Fold in whipped topping. Stir in almonds and reserved chopped cherries.
- 3. Pour over the pie. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whole cherries and chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without chocolate curls) equals 426 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC