Makeover Cherry Almond Mousse Pie Recipe
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 frozen pie shell, baked
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Chocolate curls, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir 1/2 cup milk and chocolate for 4-5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract. Pour into pie shell; set aside.
- 2. Set aside eight whole cherries for garnish. Chop the remaining cherries; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in water and remaining milk. Add pudding mix and remaining extract; mix well. Fold in whipped topping. Stir in almonds and reserved chopped cherries.
- 3. Pour over the pie. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whole cherries and chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 426 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Cherry Almond Mousse Pie
"The carbohydrates have doubled in this version, over the original!! How is this better?"
"I've made this twice, once according to the recipe and once with my own modification of leaving out the sweetened condensed milk. I made a standard ganache for the chocolate base and it didn't ooze as much as the recipe version did. Between the pudding mix and cool whip, it really doesn't need any more sweetening anyway. Leave out the condensed milk and save the calories!"
"did it for Thanksgiving was a great hit"