Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- 1. In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. In a blender or food processor, process reserved liquid and 1/4 cup cooked potatoes until smooth; set aside. Set remaining potatoes aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in oil until onion is tender. In a bowl, combine milk powder, flour, pepper, milk and processed potato mixture until smooth. Stir into ham and onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 228 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat, 0 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
"I made a couple of changes. I did not have low fat cheese so I just used regular medium cheddar. I also added carrots and celery and sauteed them in the oil with the onion. I also added a little bit of bacon. It was a really good soup and really easy to make."
"I used canned potatoes. It was very good. I downloaded it to my computer to make again!"