This better-for-you version uses lean ham, canola oil, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Additional potatoes, whirred in the food processor, plus dry milk powder help keep the soup's thick creamy texture. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2-1/4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. In a blender or food processor, process reserved liquid and 1/4 cup cooked potatoes until smooth; set aside. Set remaining potatoes aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in oil until onion is tender. In a bowl, combine milk powder, flour, pepper, milk and processed potato mixture until smooth. Stir into ham and onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p47
Reviews for Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2011
"I used canned potatoes. It was very good. I downloaded it to my computer to make again!"