This better-for-you version uses lean ham, canola oil, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Additional potatoes, whirred in the food processor, plus dry milk powder help keep the soup's thick creamy texture.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2-1/4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. In a blender or food processor, process reserved liquid and 1/4 cup cooked potatoes until smooth; set aside. Set remaining potatoes aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in oil until onion is tender. In a bowl, combine milk powder, flour, pepper, milk and processed potato mixture until smooth. Stir into ham and onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p47
Reviews for Makeover Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review