Makeover Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 pounds), broken into florets
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cauliflower and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process vegetable mixture in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Heat over medium heat.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; stir into puree. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the half-and-half, parsley, salt, dill and pepper. Heat through. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 106 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Makeover Cauliflower Soup
"This soup is a family favorite! Every time I ask my teenager what she would like, it's this soup. Win! We like to add diced ham and shredded cheddar to it and sour dough toast on the side."
"I love this soup!! So easy and I think it has a lot of flavor. I leave out the dill also. It's not really a main course soup, goes well with a grilled cheese sandwich."
"This soup is so yummy. It's even better the next day when the spices have a chance to meld into the soup. This is a keeper!"
"I followed the recipe exactly but didn't find it that tasty. I ended adding some extra spices but still would not make it again."
"Really good flavor and easy to make."
"I make this soup often. I usually leave some of the cauliflower pieces in and puree the rest. It is delicious!"
"We love this soup. I leave out the dill. I make it often in the winter."
"It's a great homemade soup. Great taste, easy to make and healthy. I make it often."
"What a unique flavor! I especially liked that it was made over to be a lighter recipe."