Makeover Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large head cauliflower (2 pounds), broken into florets
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cauliflower and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process vegetable mixture in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Heat over medium heat.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; stir into puree. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the half-and-half, parsley, salt, dill and pepper. Heat through. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 106 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.